Citrus Spring Salad With Herbed Tofu
Spring is prime time to freshen up your diet—especially with so much delicious produce coming into season. Whip up this healthy salad packed with good-for-your-eyes ingredients for any occasion. Your peepers will enjoy this salad’s vibrancy as much as your tastebuds delight in its flavor.
Serves: 2 for a main dish; 4 as a side
Prep time: 10 mins
Bake time (tofu): 30 mins
Total time: 40 minutes
Spotlight on seasonal sources
Late-winter citrus and early spring greens make it easy to get your daily dose of eye-health supporting nutrients. These players are all superstars in the game of eye health.
- Vitamin A: The Defender
- Protects your eyes against macular degeneration and cataracts. Find it in this recipe as leafy greens and avocado.
- Vitamin C: The Supporter
- Promotes the health of blood vessels carrying oxygenated blood to your eyes so you can see. The sweet juiciness of oranges packs a powerful punch to deliver this nutrient.
- Vitamin E: The Protector
- Defends against free-radicals that can damage your cells. Almonds are a tantalizing, crunchy source.
- Fats: The Facilitator
- Fat is necessary for your body’s absorption and usage of Vitamins A and E. Olive oil, almonds and avocado take center stage in this salad. Psst, if you opt for the salmon, you’ll also get your Omega-3s!
Now, let’s head to the kitchen to make this magic meal happen.
- 1 x 16oz package extra firm tofu
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
- 3 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Prefer omega-3 packed salmon for your protein source? Check out this easy oven-baked salmon recipe from the Kitchn.
- Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit
- Drain water from tofu package.
- Cut tofu into ½” thick slices.
- Wrap tofu in paper towels and gently press them to remove excess water.
- Cut tofu into cubes and place in bowl.
- Add olive oil, arrowroot starch, dried basil and salt.
- Mix until evenly coated.
- Place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until just slightly golden.
- Hint: while the tofu’s in the oven, you can prep the salad & dressing!
- Remove and let cool.
- ½ cup shaved fennel
- 1 blood orange or 1 small grapefruit, sliced thinly into rounds
- 1 navel orange, sliced thinly into rounds
- 1 avocado, diced into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup shaved almonds
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 10-16oz mixed greens
- Layer ingredients in a large bowl starting with mixed greens.
- Arrange the orange, avocado, fennel and almonds over greens in a way that’s pleasing to your eye.
- Sprinkle shaved mint over the top.
- Set aside.
- ½ cup EVOO
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- Sub: balsamic or rice vinegar if you prefer
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Add ingredients to a mason jar, apply and tighten its lid, and shake until thoroughly combined.
- Whisk ingredients together in a small bowl.
Get ready to enjoy
Toss the tofu cubes into the salad and lightly drizzle the dressing over the top. Take a moment to really see the food art you’ve just created. Prepare your tastebuds. Now, serve up and dig in!
A healthy diet is just one piece of the eye health puzzle. Need to upgrade your vision care? With Sightbox, split up the cost of your annual eye exam, contact lens fitting and year’s supply of contact lenses for as low as $39/mo. Learn more or get started today!