Summer heat naturally lends itself to lighter fare and more time spent on-the-go. Fresh salsa and easy-to-prep tacos are a delicious way to keep it simple and healthy.
Fit-Forward Tacos With Mango Salsa
Makes: 6 tacos
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 minutes
How this recipe supports your eye health
Since we’re in love with all things eyes and vision care, we’re focusing in on eye health-promoting nutrients. Here’s a quick glance at what this dish delivers:
- Vitamin A protects against age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and supports the health of cell membranes. The avocado used to top your tacos is one tasty way to get it.
- Vitamin C also may help slow AMD. Tangy, sweet mango contains a good dose of it (122mg of it per mango), which is enough to fill your daily recommended quota. Mango just so happens to play a starring role here in this salsa.
You can also feel good about getting your black beans in as these little legumes pack powerfully nutritious components that support the health of other body parts:
- Selenium which may prevent inflammation
- Loads of fiber to support your bowel health
- Heart-healthy superstars folate, potassium and vitamin B6
Now that you know the goodness you’ll be feeding yourself, it’s onto the main show!
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 3 cups of sliced mixed vegetables (your choice, options below)
- Zucchini or yellow squash
- Red, green, orange or yellow bell pepper
- Purple top turnips
- Spiced black beans
- 1 can black beans
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon white wine or apple cider vinegar
- ½ avocado, diced
- Fresh cilantro
- Prefer chicken as your protein? Check out how to saute or grill it.
Step 2: Prep
- Start with the spiced black beans.
- Drain and rinse the black beans well.
- Place black beans, water, spices and vinegar in a small-medium pot.
- Bring mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- When done, the liquid should be mostly gone and the beans should have a little crisp.
- Prep your veggies.
- Slice or dice to the bite-sized pieces you want to chew on.
- Heat a pan on medium heat. Add in cooking oil.
- Next, add your of veggies.
- Pro tip: if using onion, cook it first until the pieces turn translucent before adding other veggies in.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until they’ve reached the al-dente texture you’ve come to expect from your pasta.
- Remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble your tacos.
- Lightly warm up your tortillas in a microwave, oven or in a pan on the stovetop until they’re flexible and just a little toasty.
- Place tortillas on your plate(s).
- Layer on the black beans and veggie mix.
- Garnish with chopped avocado and fresh herbs as desired.
Step 3: Enjoy!
If you’re feeling up to a totally-worth-it-to-your-tastebuds challenge…
Level it up with mango salsa.
- 1 cup chopped mango
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- To make it spicy, add chili powder, cayenne pepper or berbere spice to taste
- Place all ingredients in bowl and mix.
- Test the taste—adjust flavor by adding more lemon juice, salt or spice.
A healthy diet is just one piece of the eye health puzzle. Need to upgrade your vision care? With Sightbox, split up the cost of your annual eye exam, contact lens fitting and year’s supply of contact lenses for as low as $39/mo. Learn more or get started today!